'Do you think François Truffaut is in heaven?', asks Melissa.
I patiently explain that since I don't believe in any kind of afterlife, I can't answer that question in a way that she would find satisfactory.
'Yes, but, was he not a good man?' she pursues.
I add, rather pompously, that since I don't hold such a manichean view of humanity, I cannot really answer that question either.
'What does manichean mean?' she asks.
I explain that it means I don't think that people are either bad or good, but both at the same time.
'But don't you think, like, you're a good person?' she asks.
'No, I don't think I'm a good person.' Melissa stares at me with something akin to horror. She probably thinks I have low self-esteem. Low self-esteem is a fashionable concept, she will have heard of that. She's 16.

This person has a friend whose car licence plate reads:
"If you're going to ride my ass...
...you may as well spank me and pull my hair."
She's envious; so am I, and I don't even have a car. I immediately thought of someone perfect for that license plate. she doesn't have a car either, though.
4 comments:
Hehehehe, what a great licence plate!
Cyberesque
reminds me of a licence plate I saw on the back of a car one morning on the way to work.
3M TA3
I couln'd figure it out until I passed the car, driven by a cute little thing with long red hair and looked at the front plate in my rear view mirror... I almost ran off the road.
I read this on Sunday: What sort of an uttelry unbearable person would you be if you actually had high self esteem? And would anyone really truly like that person?
Vanessa / sarsparilla
Gregor: ok, I admit it, it took me a few minutes and a shower to figure out the license plate.
Vanessa : quite true, that. I'm not sure I want to know that person either.
Post a Comment