Sunday, February 06, 2005

Miracle [mirөkl]
n 1: any amazing or wonderful occurrence 2: a marvellous event manifesting a supernatural act of God
1. Apparently a bunch of (subversive, obviously subversive) papist officials are agitating to relax the miracle requirement for sainthood.
It seems miracles are harder to come by these days, people of blogland. John Paul II has already eased the path to sainthood by reducing the number of required miracles down to two: one for beatification, a second miracle for canonization. Only two measly little miracles, that’s all it takes nowadays to become a saint. Shouldn’t be too difficult to be responsible for two ‘amazing or wonderful occurrences’. Personally, I make things disappear. Socks, mostly, and stuff from the fridge. Where do I go from here? Is there an application form to fill in? Do I have to prove my miracles with pictures? How will they know they haven’t been photoshopped? Or can I just quote my witnesses?

(On second thought: John Paul, don’t you know that fiddling with the rules brings unwanted attention to the matter of infallibility?)

2. In truth, people of blogland, I find myself constantly, secretly, yearning for miracles. If I could pray, I would.
I’m a strange blend of fierce atheist and closet superstitious. See:

At age 5: if I can run to the gate before I hear mom call me for lunch, there will be apple pie for dessert.
At age 9: if I can do thirteen cartwheels in a row without bumping into the wall, my step dad won’t be home for lunch. Or at least there won’t be a row. Or at least he won’t shout too much.
At age 16: if I close my eyes and hold my breath for 87 seconds, Loic will sit down with me at lunch. Damn, failed again, got to train harder. Maybe if I hold my breath for long enough I’ll pass out and then maybe he’ll notice me.
At age 21: if a squirrel jumps onto that tree, He will take me out to dinner. I’m not talking about the squirrel, silly.
At age 24: if I can spot three sparrows in the next five minutes, we’ll get to skip dinner and go to bed instead.
Now: if I see a duck-shaped cloud, well, anything is possible, isn’t it. A duck-shaped cloud, especially if followed by a black cat on the garden fence, will undoubtedly signify great things. A second chance at love. Strife digested, changed attitudes, plans and vows renewed.

I can be a fuzzy ball of superstition, people of blogland.
So, miracles – bring’em. I won’t question them. Too much.

9 comments:

Rob Burton said...

Yes what a good Idea, what with already being a Doc AND a Rev, it would be great to become a St too. I wonder how that would work would I be the Reverend Doctor St Rob or St Reverend Doctor Rob, its a bit unweildy, especially if I get to be a Lord too. Whats your advice?

mc said...

Rob - I reckon the sainthood should take precedence. Also it might make 'Rev' somewhat redundant, just like when you've got an MA you don't bother saying you've got a BA. So that would be St Dr Rob. Or Rob, StHD,PhD. Maybe.

Leggy: I guess that if sainthood can't give a meaning to one's life, few things will. yep.

Anonymous said...

I used to try to work miracles, too, as a child, only all mine worked perfectly, and, terrified, I resolved never to wield my power, in case I were tempted to once more one day use it for evil purpose. (my little sister had already suffered from my miraculous talents)

These days' I'd just rant wildly about the perfidy of the whore of Rome, and refuse to test my miraculous powers.

This comment's going nowhere, isn't it?

Vanessa

mc said...

Funny, that. I never thought that wishing for the miraculous fulfilment of any of my whims could be an Evil Purpose.

Anonymous said...

Ahh. You see, I was wishing harm on others.

:-/

Vanessa

mc said...

Whereas I was mainly trying my hardest to impress others, by promising them new toys or wonderful occurences.

I haven't changed really.

Anonymous said...

When I tried to comment here last time, Blogger went into a state of suspended animation... and you already know what the result of that was.

Incidentally, I should be angry with you at perpetuating an unwanted myth in your sidebar, but I like it... stylishly subversive. And it made me smile. Like all of your writing.

Anonymous said...

Whoops. Just like me to type my own URL wrong...

mc said...

I had to use that 'force of nature' phrase because it made me grin so much. It reminded me of something my grandma used to say, always ironically though.