Tuesday, June 27, 2006

(Un)comfortably numb

This morning

-I’m just… bored, I blurt, looking at my shoes.
-I don’t believe in boredom, he says.
-Fine. I’m lazy, then.
-I don’t believe in laziness either.
-As it happens, I agree with you. But I’m being morose, and I need a word to explain that I’m not doing anything with my time. So if I call it laziness, at least I take full responsibility for my lethargy. I don’t want to blame anyone else for it.
-There’s no such thing as boredom. It’s only lack of stimulation. Where do you get yours from?
-Myself. Or at least I should. But I’m not. I don’t want to relinquish responsibility for my limbo. What if I traced my lack of stimulation to someone else, what shall I do then? Cry, have a tantrum, eat a cookie?
-Then maybe you could see it as a mechanism that you can undo; then use all the stored-up momentum that hasn’t been released because you didn’t get the stimulus.

Over the past two days, I’ve been sleeping a lot, and looking at the clock when awake, to check how long til I can go back to bed.
I don’t like getting people worried.
I’m lazy.

6 comments:

PPQ said...

Or are you just in a funk? Cos doesn't that happen to everyone?

Well, laziness, lethargy, moroseness...whatever it is, feel better soon

x

Anonymous said...

yes hope you feel inspired soon. x

Anonymous said...

Know the feeling. But it could be you need this bored lazy patch, to deal with the next ball of shit life throws at you.

David said...

Have tried speed-eating?

Anonymous said...

Boredom, or a funk. Whatever it is, it ain't nice.

I find doing something radically out of character and potentially daring helps. Like, contacting 20people on some networking site. Or sitting in a bar and very obviously eyeing people up to see how quickly you get chucked out.

Or screaming into a pillow... (mine are available, by the way) ;)

Hope you feel better soon x

Anon said...

Everyone I know seems to be having a downer, maybe summer has zapped all our energy?