Sunday, November 20, 2005

Traducción

People of Blogland, those of you that have been following will know that I have been brushing up my extremely dusty Spanish. Amongst my efforts I am working my way through some amusing verb drills/translation exercises. Here are today’s gems of lexical and syntaxic beauty:

1. Tell me my friend, are you depressed? (estar)

2. He admits (admitir) that sometimes he takes a nap at work but he does not admit when he makes a mistake (un error)

3. They (fem plural) are in a bad mood (estar de mal humor) because the television set is broken (estar dañado) and therefore (por eso) they are bored.

4. Hamburgers and French fries are very popular in the United States (en los Estados Unidos)
And my favourite:

5. How much truth do you possess? (la verdad)

I’m having so much fun. (pasarlo bien, diverstirse.) Although I still don’t know how much truth I possess. Do you?

In other news, I'm having a kick ass week end with my Special Lady Friend, thank you very much. We made risotto, too.

5 comments:

David said...

What's 'Is your arse kickable?' in Spanish

Kiera said...

You know more languages than I have paired socks!

Good for you, it sounds fun.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to refute that "Hamburgers and french fries" comment but...alas, it's too true.
*sigh*....

Edith Finistere said...

I know from experience it's impossible to resist someone whispering softly in French into your ear. Oh, even thinking about it makes me blush.
But French-accent-Spanish? Isn't that a little fetishist? :-)

mc said...

Elizabeth - yes, but if she doesn't understand, how will you get your answer? Just wondering.

Greavsie - I'll find out for you if you like.

Kiera- do you only own 2 and a half socks? I'll think of you when I go Christmas shopping then.

Anne - yes, it was the painful obviousness of the statement that I enjoyed. Sadly.

Rachel- thank you, and welcome.

Edith - I don't know, is it? It's not my fetish, I'll ask my special lady friend.