People of blogland, sit tight: tonight I’m going to tell you about a few of my unrequited crushes. Just because I can. Just don't tell my Special Lady Friend, ok? This is just between you and me.
Crush #1, 5 on the Richter scale, Circa 1990
Oh, that one. Oh yes.
This one got me out of bed every weekday for a whole school year, you see.
I don’t know what it was; the ponytail, the blue eyes, the make up, the carefully studied androgynous goth/grunge look, the one earring. I was inspired; I read so many books that year. My friends said he had greasy hair, but I didn’t care, he was a lovely school librarian.
About three or four years ago I was home and I saw him down at the swimming pool. He was balding and had a mean potbelly. I swam to the other end of the pool.
I’m so over it.
Crush #2, 8 on the Richter scale, Circa 1978-1985, and for this one I can provide a picture:

With her Christmas bonus, my mother bought our first TV set, and at dinner time I watched Albator.
Right. Pirate. Long hair. Scar. Black clothes. Big knee-length boots. Rebel.
Sometimes I couldn't even swallow my food properly.
All I can say is : there is no way Albator was really a guy. Pirate, yes; girl pirate.
Seriously, look: hips!
What am I saying, 1985; I’m still crushed out.
Crush #3, 9 on the Richter scale, circa now:

This delicious creature is called Bebe, and she’s a singer and she’s Spanish. Oh, the beautiful extremeno accent, the lovely way she has of skipping over consonants, the hand gestures, the voice, the eyes, the everything. I’ve gone all weak at the knees just watching one of her videos.
In fact I’m feeling a bit queasy now. It happens when I get all crushed out on someone unattainable.
I don’t have a punch line, blogfolks. So now I better go and have some alka-seltzer.
8 comments:
Oooooh, Bebe... I feel the urge to learn Spanish immediately...
- Not quite so sure about animated crushes, however (apart from animated in the sense that they possess a soul/animus, that is) but I have heard of far less explicable: a former schoolmate had a huge crush on both Liono from Thundercats... and Dogtanian. Yes. He of the Muskehounds.Really.
Alas, my crushes are equally unattainable and subjective. I do have a huge crush on Fuzzy End of The Lollipop -and she knows it... but Mrs Gripes is still my number one crush... Nauseating, eh? (Loving your blog, by the way....)
Naf tie though.
Oh yes, joint de culasse! She has the Sharon-Stone-thing. * shivers*
But is she tied up or something?
It's all about the hair. Yea, yea. That Sharon Stone hair......mmmm. Short and fuzzy or spiked and I am completely under their control....
Charlie- didn't I say unrequited? ;-)
Gripes - and I thought my cartoon crush was a bit bizarre...
Greavsie- ties come off...
Edith- tied up? I wish!
Anne, Southern bird and Emily - I personally think she looks nothing like Sharon Stone, but I suppose it's a Lesbian Label Of Quality, so I won't argue.
just popped by.
grinning contentidely.
Hey, I have that album ! Incredible !
It's SO fantastic, and I thought no-one else knew about it.
You know what Malo is about, right ?
Yes, yes, I do know what it's about, and I know the lyrics by heart now.
Oh yes.
Post a Comment