Thursday, December 02, 2004


Misdirected romanticism, anyone?

'Romeo, Oh yeah, I used to have a scene with him. (Juliet)

1. Maybe 8 months ago, I opened the case where my glasses live when I don't wish to see the world around in too much focus, and saw, stuck to the lid with cellotape, a pink fortune cookie slip that read:

You or a close friend will be married within a year.

I believe it was A's fortune cookie; in any case, she put it there.
Out of some sort of superstition, I kept it when we were together. And kept it when we weren't.
It's still there; and I won't peel it off.

2. Was it also superstition when I put A's name down on my life insurance form? [see footnote #2] Perhaps it was. In any case, should I get flattened by a double-decker, she will still get a year of my salary, which could get her a (second hand) bike to replace the one that was stolen and probably sold on Craig's list to someone else who had their bike stolen, etc.

It feels almost vengeful and spiteful and mean to go and take the step to cross her out, just like re-writing your will to spite your estranged wife, or something; Yet, and how I know this! it's incredibly dumb of me not to. I will get round to it. Eventually.
[Footnote #2 :Last time I promised footnote #1 but never delivered, it's still in gestation. But here is F#2: yes, I have life insurance; don't ask, it's a work thing. I'm not that organised]

No comments: