Sunday, January 08, 2006

Just like home!

1. People of Blogland, I was out on the town last night, and it was just like being in Paris! Really, it was: I was patronizing a cosy candle-lit gay establishment in the company of a lovely friend (all my friends are lovely, though) when I saw outside a gang of hooded youfs gathering, lining up and seemingly up to something dodgy, or stupid, or both. They were looking at the windows of said establishment, but apparently decided against starting a siege and started throwing stones at passing women instead, before moving on. It felt just like home!

2. Prior to that, I went shopping in the most expensive furniture and decoration shop in the galaxy, Heal’s on Tottenham court road; I was painfully reminded of my inferior financial and economic status. I did, however, find a belated Christmas present for my Special Lady Friend. I wonder if it’d have made a good weapon should the potential riot described in 1. above had actually unfurled. I think it might have done.

3. Last night I was trying to convince Abi (who is, although a tall blonde, very lovely) of the many merits of inviting her own SLF over to her place and cook her dinner.

Good wine? Check.
Decent glasses? Check.
Candles? Check.
Music? Check.
A succession of home-cooked, light yet mouthwatering dishes? Check.
A playful dessert? Check.
100% Egyptian cotton bed sheets? Check.

So the following section is dedicated to Abi. Thank you for stopping by, blogfolks.

MENU
1. Green lettuce with walnut and blue cheese (Stilton is fine). Drizzle walnut oil if you have some. Balsamic vinegar won’t work.
2. Today’s suggestion is to combine the hearty mushroom risotto with rare steak. You’ll need an onion, some dry white wine and mushrooms. I recommend Gallo’s risotto rice. A full-bodied red wine with steak, definitely.
3. Poached pears with homemade chocolate sauce (melt over a low heat, add vanilla and cinnamon), sprinkled with grilled almonds and a scoop of good vanilla ice cream. I’ll practice this afternoon and get back to you with details.
PS: Aprons are sexy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

For lunch (sic) I had a mug of tea and six Walker's chocolate chunk and hazelnut biscuits. Though I did sit at my rather elegant table from the Conran shop, on one of my rather elegant chairs from Heal's.

All things considered, I think I'd rather have an SLF who cooked me meals like the one you've described and eat them sitting cross-legged on the floor. Sounds divine.

gregor said...

you know, sometimes you make me wish I was a woman who loved women...
you rock.

eroica said...

yow know what i really lust after?
100% *organic* cotton sheets.
mmmmmm.

Cadence said...

My christmas present is perfect. Thank you. I'm glad you didn't have to use it as a weapon, although it would have made a very good one, it would have been a crying shame to break it don't you think ?!

David said...

So the sheets have 'Made In Egypt' on them?

Anonymous said...

OK this is all good stuff. Thank you so much for your advice and your company, especially for listening patiently while I went on about her in that loved up puppy dog kind of way x

C'lam said...

oh those pears sound divine.

and yes, aprons are v sexy

mc said...

Waterhot- sell your furniture and hire a cook! Alternatively, come over for dinner.

Gregor- you made me blush.

Southern bird- I certainly wouldn't settle for less, but then again I am a snob...

Frogstar - yes.

Sortof - yay! and yes, it would have been a shame.

Greavsie - this deserves my teacher face, you know. It does.

TallBlonde - happy cooking. Should I get you an apron?

C'lam - they are, but they need to be cooked just right.