Friday, October 15, 2004

Red Hot Catholic Love and the House of Hamlet
J had a home visit today from some religious nutter who launched into a near monologue on the light of the Lord. J played his favourite game, answering using only lines from South Park. Cultural references always come in handy.


So yes, I have been very much in my little bubble lately; but just like the rest of the Western world I have been following the US election warm-up; it matters because when America farts we get to smell it all the way here, don’t we. At this point I would like to propose Shrub as a modern Hamlet figure: George II, a spoiled, insecurity-plagued, wannabe king, whose blind loyalty to the ghost of his father’s regime and whose thrust for revenge against George I’s imagined enemies will, ultimately, bring about the son’s tragic downfall in the November elections. If we’re lucky.
This morning I heard some French journalist claim that in France, Spain, Germany or the UK, Kerry would be elected by more than 80% of votes. It’s really quite touching, this naïve belief that America gives a flying fuck about what European countries think.
Pah. Back to the bubble now.

No comments: