Sunday, March 13, 2005

Don’t be a sinner, be a winner*

I’ve just fought the urge to eat the last cheesecake from the fridge. It’s not legally mine, it’s got J’s name on it. That would be so wrong. I looked at it with lusty eyes, but in the end I shut the fridge, didn’t eat it. I win.
I’ve just fought the urge to tell a friend to fuck off with her little tantrums. I bit my lip so hard it’s swollen, but in the end I didn’t say it. I win.
I’ve just fought the urge to spend a hundred quid on amazon. I have a pile of books already waiting, and I’m broke. I added 14 items to my wish list, sighed, but in the end I didn’t buy them. I win. For now.
I’ve just fought the urge to write a letter to work to give my notice. Because I need money to buy cheesecake and books, I didn’t write it. I’m not sure I win anything.
I’ve just fought the urge to email A and suggest we make up.
I’ve just fought the urge to email A and offer friendship.
Am I winning?

* a quote by my favourite religious nut, the one on Oxford Circus with the microphone who proselytises to crowds of shoppers.

People of blogland, I feel the need for Spring and time away, far, far away from here.

6 comments:

PPQ said...

The Ox St Preacher - yeah what a corker - I wrote about him a few months back when I noticed that he now has a protege!

I love this post y, "I’ve just fought the urge to write a letter to work to give my notice. Because I need money to buy cheesecake" That bit just made me smile.

And I think you are winning, you're winning a teeny bit every day...

mc said...

Anne- absolutely. Those little pots of cheesecake goodness I have at the moment..it's like they shine a light on everything else. They're so good I have to close my eyes.

PPQ - a protégé? He has? No way! Things get scarier by the day.

I have to go find your post about him, now.

Anonymous said...

You don't use the same pseudonym on Amazon then...
If the Yorkshire dales have lost their appeal, springtime in Switzerland has everything you need to recharge the batteries... though it's not quite here yet.
Oh, and who said you can't sin AND win ?

Anonymous said...

Good point.

I think you're winning - the need for spring, the need for other climes, the nostalgia - are what make you uncertain. One day you'll be certain.

In whichever direction.

David said...

Posh people always win.

mc said...

Here we go. I spend a week with the toffs and Greavsie starts calling me names.
'tisn't fair.