I can’t do it.
This is how it goes: I take a deep breath before I approach It. Then I look at It, and my resolve just melts.
Every time, I know it’ll be hard; and I know that every time will end up just like the time before, and the time before that one. I can’t seem to put an end to It. I just can’t.
It’s been five years, people of blogland, which means that I’ve been trying for five years, each passing year I’ve tried a little bit harder.
But It won’t let me. Every year I fail, miserably.
So now It’s smug, because It knows. It knows that I can’t just pick it up and dismiss it. It’s so smug It thinks It’s above me and my feeble resolutions.
It started innocently enough; a chance encounter in February 1999 in Lyon. I saw no malice in It. I didn’t know what was coming. Yet. It came back to London with me, and It’s been plaguing me ever since.
I only ever wore It twice!
Both times, people didn’t say anything, but merely averted their gaze. Tactfully. Mercifully. Then it went back into the closet, a defiant patch of swirly purple adrift in a sea of black.
I don’t understand the hold It seems to have on me.
It can’t be a sentimental attachment. No memorable event ever took place while I was wearing It. No button was ripped off It in the throes of a passionate, carnal encounter.
It can’t be a sensual attachment, either. Its label divulges ‘100% polyester’, and that, my friends, isn’t sensual. It’s not even nice.
It can’t be an aesthetic bond, either. Cheap material, mediocre cut. A part of me wants to believe that it’s so dowdy and tacky it’s cool. Most of me knows it’s just fugly. I know I’ll never wear It again. Yet I can’t give it away.
I just don’t understand.
What to do?
Hire a hit man? An Oxfam hit man?
7 comments:
Oooooh that's gotta hurt...
Errrm....use it as a duster?!
Now i`m sure you were lovingly stroking a similar garment in Top Shop just a few weeks ago....
Burn it. With a crucifix to hand. And shout "the power of christ compels you" loudly in a US-irish accent.
..Oh my..
Perhaps a homeless hippie??..
..But no..Not even a homeless hippie...
..I'm with Vanessa!
I've got it. You could cut it into two squares, put some stuffing in it, sew all four sides up and then sew some shiny beads on it and, voila, you have an exotic pillow from a country far, far away...
Well.
The thing is gone.
It's been double bagged, so it shouldn't be able to escape.
On Wednesday at dawn it will meet its fate: the recycling men.
Post a Comment