Monday, March 21, 2005

Envy

1.Apparently, the writer Théophile Gaultier used to get all his ideas for his novels from his dreams. He used to keep a notebook by his bed and, as soon as he’d open his eyes, quickly scribble his dreams. Well, it worked for him.

2. I wonder what I could do with mine.
Dreams from the past few nights:
- I am doing the splits;
- I have really really long hair down to my waist and I’m feeling very satisfied.
- I am in a house full of people, it’s some party, I know and fear that A is going to turn up. She never turns up.

All those dreams recur at regular intervals.
But I really can’t see how I can weave them, let alone turn them into a novel.

3. Théophile clearly had much better quality dreams than I do. Probably something to do with absinthe, opium and prostitutes.
I’m being slightly envious.

5 comments:

PPQ said...

No no...that could make a very intersting novel indeed....a long haired hippy acrobat with ex-love troubles...one who gets over her troubles by inventing new acrobatic moves...yeeeah!

David said...

Or a novella about a woman who is trying to weave her dreams into a meaningful best-seller whilst trying admirably to maintain her sanity.

Anonymous said...

Guess it depends on perspective!?

Just discovered your blog, thank you, It’s made me smile amid heaps of census statistics; an impressive achievement.

mc said...

PPQ- acrobatic moves, talk about sublimation! I'm not sure my yoga poses are up to scratch yet.

Greavsie- ah, if only that could be autobiographical. especially about the retaining her sanity bit.

Rah - thank you. I think the impressive achievement rather lies in understading your way through statistics myself.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, but do not be fooled, I never said I understood them!