Sunday, April 10, 2005

Prickly

I had found a new heroin, a role model, an egeria.
For two days I watched her from my window, wondering, marveling. For two days and two nights she was holding her ground, stoic.
First the harsh rays of the sun; then came the hailstones, and the freezing winds; yet she did not move. Torrential rains, and snow. Still she was there, seemingly imperturbable.
And still this morning - holding onto the cactus.
A cactus?
I called her Mildred the willful ladybird and asked her how she was getting on, and why she had chosen a cactus? when there were so many, leafier, options on my window sill.

And then this afternoon, a sudden moment of horrible clarity :
Cactus.
What if she was not stoic but impaled?

I de-impaled Mildred the ladybird; and I needed a pair of tweezers to operate on the bits of cactus still stuck into her ladybird body, then I showed her that convalescence was to take place on the nearby tomato plant.

What's the moral of the story then?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe the cactus was one of those insect-eating types and was gaining nutrients from the ladybird?

if so, did you save the ladybird - or - did you kill the cactus?

in either case its clear your a treehuggin' hippy type who would like nothing better than to live in an igloo with the dophins....

Anonymous said...

or even worse: live in an igloo with the dolphins

mc said...

The cactus is doing well, thank you very much.
Hmmmph.
Treehugger, moi?

Anonymous said...

How funny!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Can you get male ladybirds or are they all actually 'ladies'?

Anonymous said...

I commented too soon on the subsequent post. The moral is exactly the thing I said in those comments: the stoicism is a freezing, an icing over of emotion. It's protective, and its deadly. We need to move forward to live.